A year of work in progress – day 110

Day 110 – 25 June 2014

Bob said I could use this in my blog. Yesterday afternoon he knocked on the door as I was waiting for a meeting in the Room for Improvement and asked if I could spare a few minutes. At first I thought ‘here we go’ but we cleared up a few things about the Virtual Desktop Integration project and the role of Operations in it. That was fine and then he excitedly showed me some graphs detailing the incidents logged and resolved by each of his areas. They were very interesting and showed a steady decline in the amount of incidents coming in. That has to be good news and supports the efforts we are putting in.

What was more exciting though was that he showed me how the rate of resolution matches the rate at which calls come in. The more that we have the more we can resolve and the less we have we seem to ease up. Now there will be a myriad of reasons why this is so and it is something that I’ve been aware of for some time but cannot get to the bottom of.   Having Bob show me this and talk to me about the stories held within our data was a good step forward and hopefully means that we can make further improvements in our service delivery.

He also told me how we have finished our project to migrate all of the desktops from Windows XP to Windows 7. We have a (very) few machines left but they are application dependant. This has been a difficult piece of work and it’s great that it’s completed. Windows 8 next? Now that’s a different kind of ‘here we go’.

By the way I’ve caught up on my email. Normal service has been restored.

Today was a Northumberland day. I had intended to spend some time with Neil preparing for a joint programme board meeting in the afternoon to progress the potential joint venture between us. Instead an application for the Transformation Challenge Award 2015-16 Expression of Interest Form B got in the way. This is one of those things that has fallen between the cracks. Its aim is around ‘Encouraging places that have ambitious plans to work in partnership across the public sector and with the voluntary and community sector or private sector to re-design services’ and so it was worth a punt. I cracked on and got it into a decent state but there are two hours of my life I’ll never get back.

In the afternoon the joint programme board team got together at Tanfield.  We went through all of the actions we needed to do over the coming months and put them into a plan. It was really good to see the two teams coming together as one and we are making real progress.

I went to the Dynamo board in the evening.

Learning points for today: I don’t like filling in grant forms but I knew that anyway mostly because they ask you to repeat yourself; if you’re going to have an online application at least write it to work online; my typing is bad and; it’s even worse when I am being watched.

Today’s enjoyment rating 9/10 – good progress.

One thought on “A year of work in progress – day 110

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s