What is the idea?
- To develop an ICT apprentice loan scheme.
- The ICT industry will play a significant role in the future of the regional and global economy. There are currently over 32,000 people working in the ICT industry in the North East with 1,500 current job vacancies
- The region has a diverse business base of well-established global names from Sage, Accenture and Hewlett-Packard, tech, global companies and mid-sized firms.
- The region’s five universities have significant computing departments.
- It is estimated that 90% of all jobs advertised now require some form of ICT skills. There is no council service that does not rely upon ICT to deliver their services and dependency upon ICT will only become greater in the future.
- Ensuring that there are sufficient skilled employees within the region will be an important requirement in enabling the ICT industry to grow.
- Currently only 4% of 15 year olds want to work in technology and engineering.
- Industry needs to work closely with schools, colleges and universities to ensure pupils and graduates have the skills to match industry requirements
- One way of helping is by taking on ICT apprentices, which are a key tool in improving skills, especially in those students who prefer a less academic approach to learning.
- Not all organisations are able to commit to taking on apprentices full time and it is likely that there is a demand for and willingness to have apprentices even on a part-time basis, especially in SMEs and community and voluntary organisations.
- The organisation would take on apprentices and loan them out on a chargeable basis to organisations that are not able to commit fully to an apprentice.
- This will mean:
- More apprentices
- More organisations involved
- Greater experience for the apprentices leading to
- Improved marketability
- Improved and more rounded skills base across multiple disciplines
- More jobs
- A greater organisational contribution to the regional economy
- Work will be undertaken with potential apprentice providers to minimise risk and maximise opportunity.
- Work will be undertaken with potential client organisations to test market acceptance of the proposal, get an understanding of demand and the likelihood of sustainable employment.
If you are interested in helping please get in touch.